- This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 7 months ago by
goggs.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Home › Forums › Painting in Tabletop Gaming › 40 days and 40 nights!!
So setting aside the religious aspects of lent I’m using it to try and achieve some progress in my hobby. As the title suggests 40 days and nights is my challenge window and I’ve set myself a goal of 1hr hobby a day/night for the duration of that window so 40hrs (I’m aware lent can technically be longer but that’s just the goal I’ve set). It’s really given me a fresh outlook on my hobby time and the simple fact of trying to get as much done as I can in an hr along with a little planning means I’m making great progress on multiple projects. Dividing my work load into hr slots has really structured the projects into smaller achievable goals and pushed it on more then I could have thought and I can say that this 1hr really delivers on the satisfaction levels while also keep the hobby guilt at bay. Overall I suppose it’s just good for me as a hobbyist. Anyway thought I’d throw out my hobby challenge suggestion and ask if folk have suggestions or structures of their own that help them get a bit of hobby time in regularly.
This is a great idea. I did something similar last year (though not tied to Lent – and now I think about it, I’m not quite sure why it petered out). But just putting an hour aside to do some hobby is both achievable and a great way to make progress on that pile of grey.
I spend a lot of time in front of a computer, so at the end of every day (about an hour before bed) I’d sit and paint as a way to “unplug” and have some downtime. It was lovely. I might join you. When does Lent start?
@buggeroff cheers ??.
@blinky465 we are a week into lent at this stage but really you can start whenever would suit. I just used lent as the structured goal of the 40 days so that the overall challenge would have an end date which in turn would keep me motivated and focused. I’m the same as yourself, once family is settled to bed and work and home is in order I do the hr before I’m off to bed myself. I find that it’s also motivating me to do some extra bits, for example if I have a spare 30 min during the day I’d set a timer and do a quick 1/2hr to get the hobby area cleaned up or cut some minis from sprues etc. Small achievable goals but they in turn free up more time during that evening hour. And it all seems to stem from the bit of planning I need to do to best utilise the hr. I take that 1/2hr or 15min or whatever it might be off the 40hr total too which means I’ve some time banked if life means I miss a day. If you decide to try it yourself let me know and we can stay in touch about it.
Yeah this is a great idea. I, like @blinky465, did something similar last year but couldn’t tell you why it stopped. I find the morning times better but that’s because I play RPGs online several evenings a week. I might try and start it back up again for the month of March. 31 days seems like a good run to get the habit back
I have a goal to do at least one hobby-related thing a day, usually a bit of painting but it could be making up a list, building some terrain or a kit.. anything. It all adds up.
@ninjilly yeah setting the month as your window is a good idea. Having an end set really keeps the motivation going and prevents the ole “I’ll do it tomorrow” mindset creeping in. If you decide to do it let me know how you are getting on.
@khusrau I couldn’t agree more, every little bit done helps no matter what it is. I set aside my hr the other night to organise my scenic materials into new container sets and the sense of satisfaction was real even though it wasn’t direct paint on mini’s hobby time. Plus I now have a catalogue of all my basing materials in clear containers making them visible and organised creating an easier approach to planning the basing of my miniatures.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Supported by (Turn Off)
4
Tine Fieldling’s Folkloric TTRPG, The Hazelands, Hits Kickstarter!
1
Build Quick WW2 Battlefields With Bandua’s European Village
13
A Billion Suns: Second Edition Coming December 2026
2
Monkey About As A Sailsman With Freebooter’s Cursed Pirates
1
Antediluvian Build On Medieval Wars Of The Bruces 28mm Collection
2
Tabletop Titan’s Stone Age Fantasy Game Wyldwood Hits Kickstarter
8
New Seraphon & More For Warhammer Age Of Sigmar Fans
5
North Star’s New Warriors Of Athena Plastic Heroes Sprues Spotted
0
UNSC Marines Battle Banished Reinforcements In Halo: Flashpoint
2
New Plastic Mordor Orcs Previewed For Middle-earth SBG
5
Khazalite Holds! Dwarfs Return Proper To Warhammer Age Of Sigmar
5
Unleash The Mapcap Into Blood Bowl With New Night Goblins
1
Astartes II Gets New Teaser Trailer & December Release Date
22
Games Workshop’s New Paint Range; Warhammer Tone Pro
8
New Plastics! Warhammer: The Old World’s Tomb Kings March Again
1
Monstrous Ikons & Fallen Angel Pre-Orders For Para Bellum’s Conquest
0
Aquilon Terminators Reinforce The Custodes Of Warhammer 40,000
7
Roleplay In The Underhive With New Necromunda Game
4
Fire & Flame! Legion Of The Damned Return To Warhammer 40,000
1
Prepare Your Own Boot Hill Cemetery With Knuckleduster Miniatures
2
Grab New Konflikt ’47 Starter Armies From Warlord Games
4
Lead A 28mm Horse To Water With Great Escape’s Next Plastic Kit
3
Swiss & Chinese Armour Rolls Onto The Sci-Fi Battlefields Of Hardwar
3
Don’t Miss Satyr Art’s Demon Lord Of Glorious Filth Limited Run
1
Konflikt ’47’s Gregor Drugov Gets A Grizzly New Upgrade
1
New Hyperthermal Supplement Details Drop For Infinity Fans
2
More World War III British Coming From Battlefront Next Month
1
Rampage Miniatures’ New Mordheim Tomb Raiders & Female Dwarfs!
4
Martyrdom’s First Medieval Miniature Starts The Baggage Train
5
Mantic Preview Plants Vs Zombies Board Game Coming In October
Painting in Tabletop Gaming
News, Rumours & General Discussion
Painting in Tabletop Gaming
News, Rumours & General Discussion
Science Fiction Tabletop Game Discussions
Science Fiction Tabletop Game Discussions
Historical Tabletop Game Discussions
News, Rumours & General Discussion
News, Rumours & General Discussion
Science Fiction Tabletop Game Discussions
Painting in Tabletop Gaming
News, Rumours & General Discussion
Historical Tabletop Game Discussions
News, Rumours & General Discussion
Painting in Tabletop Gaming
Historical Tabletop Game Discussions
News, Rumours & General Discussion
Painting in Tabletop Gaming
News, Rumours & General Discussion
News, Rumours & General Discussion
Copyright © 2026 Beasts of War Ltd.
All trademarks and images are copyright of their respective owners.
We use cookies to improve your experience on our site. By using our site, you consent to cookies.
Manage your cookie preferences below:
Essential cookies enable basic functions and are necessary for the proper function of the website.
These cookies are needed for adding comments on this website.
These cookies are used for managing login functionality on this website.
Statistics cookies collect information anonymously. This information helps us understand how visitors use our website.
Google Analytics is a powerful tool that tracks and analyzes website traffic for informed marketing decisions.
Service URL: policies.google.com (opens in a new window)